If you are erecting a new deck or removing or replacing an existing deck, a building permit is required. Building permit applications are available at Paola City Hall, 19 East Peoria, or call (913) 259-3611 and an application will be mailed to you. For your protection, we encourage you to contact the utility location service (1-800-DIG-SAFE) prior to digging post-holes or any other digging or excavating.
Building Permit Requirements
A site plan or survey including:
- Dimensions and materials of the deck
- Distances from deck and property lines
- Existing or proposed structures and distances to property lines
- Locations of easements or rights-of-way
- Property address
- Property dimensions
Deck Construction Requirements
- All lumber must be treated (such as CCA) or wood with natural resistance to decay (such as cedar or heart of redwood).
- A 10 foot vertical clearance and three foot horizontal clearance must be maintained from the new deck to any portion of overhead electrical wires.
- Floors must support at least 40 pounds per square foot, in addition to the weight of the materials.
- Footings must extend at least 30 inches below grade.
- Guardrails must be at least 36 inches high and there shall be no opening large enough to pass a four inches diameter ball through.
- Handrails are required on all stairways with three or more risers. A gripable surface of all handrails must be a maximum diameter of two inches. A 2-by-4 is not an acceptable handrail.
- The assumed allowable soil bearing pressure is 2000 psf.
- The top of handrails and guardrails along stairs should be 34 inches measured from the nosing of the tread.
The permit fee is due when the permit is issued.
One final inspection is required upon completion of construction. Call (913) 259-3611 to schedule an appointment. Please have permit number available.
The permit fee will be doubled if any work begins without first obtaining a permit.
A permit becomes null and void if work or construction authorized is not commenced within 180 days, or if construction or work is suspended for a period of 180 days at any time after work or construction is commenced. Permits shall be renewed annually. If a permit is null and void or expired, a new permit application and fee are required.